Work Package 9
May 2021 – February 2024
Work Package 9 aims to co-create alternative narratives on migration together with different kinds of artistic and media actors. These co-created narratives will feed and be fed by the project research results and discussions. Thus, this WP seeks to:
- Co-produce alternative narratives on migration in a joint dialogue between the academia and artistic communities, especially those that involve migrants.
- Explore how images presented in the form of a photographic story contribute to reinforce or debunk actual migration narratives.
- Raise awareness on the positive contributions of migration and cultural diversity in European societies among citizens.
- Foster the role of photojournalism and creative industries related to film, rap and mural painting in the production of alternative narratives with a strong power for social transformation.
To do so, this WP fosters different expressions of urban culture that reflect on the challenges posed by increasing diverse and multicultural societies, including:
- An itinerant photojournalism exhibition based on works by renowned European newsmagazines that will visit Rome, Madrid, and Brussels. Several public events are held back-to-back with the exhibition to jointly reflect on the role of photojournalism in reiterating or subverting dominant media narratives on migration, resulting in a digital portfolio of pictures and a short documentary with interviews with photographers and photo editors.
- A two-fold hip-hop contest, involving an open international call for a mural painter and another for a rap singer. As a result, a mural reflecting on migration and integration issues is painted in Barcelona, where the rap singer will also record his/her song, resulting in a videoclip and a short documentary.
Led by: por Causa (Lucila Rodríguez-Alarcón).